Friday 19 February 2010

A Day in the Life

Despite what you think, we Colgatians aren't here to just get into crazy traveling adventures. We do have class, believe it or not. The point of this blog is to explain a day in the life of a Colgate abroad student.
My schedule varies everyday depending on when I have class, so I will describe a typical Thursday. Thursdays are my days with the most class, so it may be the most fruitful if you all want a look at my life here.

7:30-8:30- somewhere in this range of time, I get up for the day! My first reaction in the morning is to check the weather out my window. Today, it's beautifully sunny again!!!

9:00- Run in Bute park. Bute park is practically in our backyard here at Talybont. Its a lovely park with the River Taff running right through it, and its a great place to join plenty of joggers, bikers, and well behaved dogs.

9:30- 10:30- Breakfast and getting ready for class. I usually eat eggs with Franks Hot Sause (yesssss) or cereal and yoghurt if anyone cares. I make myself lunch and pack my bag for a long day of school.

10:30-11:30- this is a good time to Blog, do homework, and read. I like having long, relaxing mornings.

11:30- I leave for class after checking the mail. Our mail comes into a communal house mailbox, which requires some digging. I always check because I LOVE getting mail. The walk on Thursdays is short, just a 10-15 minute trip to the Biosciences building.

12:10- Population ecology. A very interesting lecture so far!

1:10- Welsh Folklore with the Colgate kids.

2:00- 4:00pm- this is the deadly chunk of time in which I usually have nothing to do but sit and eat snacks in the Humanities cafe. People from the study group come and go, and we sometimes get our physics homework done in this block. We can get pretty bored, but we have started playing games so the time passes quicker.

4:10- population ecology again. It's a bit weird in Cardiff, I have pop ecology twice in one day, hence the large amount of class.

5:10- Geier's History of Technology is always a great way to end the school day. It is an interesting an engaging class that is just us Colgate kids. I love hearing what everyone thinks about our readings etc., and Geier is a great lecturer, even if the class is slightly too structured.

6- 7:15 pm- jackie and I find a place to eat dinner, then hop in the mini bus for kayak polo!

10 pm- We get back from kayak polo pretty late, so we dont get to participate in Trivia at the local pub with the rest of the Colgate kids. oh well. At this point, im tired from a long day. I do some homework and talk to people online, maybe book a flight or plan our next adventure.

11:30-12:00- Time for bed!

I hope this gives you a better picture of what we are up to every day, though people have been branching out and doing a lot of cool things. Casey and Ken play frisbee, Caitie, Kristi, Maria, and Sammy play the dutch sport of Korfball, ( i hear its like basketball a little bit) Margaret spends a lot of time observing starts way down in the Astronomy building, Paikin comes to kayak polo on mondays, Sammy tried sailing this week, Laura played squash and the other Casey goes out with the riding team. We are all having interesting and fun experiences; the sailing team thought Sammy was a boy, and laura awkwardly didnt have a racket, but it ended up ok. In general we try to experience all that we can and love sharing stories with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment