Wednesday 17 February 2010

Dressing (and Playing) the Part


Hello again from Cardiff,

This blog entry is going to be a short: just like the topic of this post. If you don't get it, I will explain. The first night I got here, it was 3 am and i was getting off the bus after a long trip with my parents. Coming out of the nightclubs were hoards of Cardiffians, dressed to the nines but also with nothing on. It was also COLD. The first young man we saw had no coat on, and we thought that was an anomaly. Next to round the corner were several girls, wearing the shortest dresses I have ever seen and heels that would certainly cause me to break and ankle within two steps.


<--- her legs must get so cold in the RAIN!!! everyone should wear ponchos to clubs.


Now I know, there is the saying (from Eurotrip) that America is founded by prudes, but in my mind, this was an issue of practicality. In the coming days, I learned that this was the standard for going out to the clubs at night. The girls on my study group were all a little alarmed at the shortness of the dresses the girls wear here. It just seems unwise to dress in something that doesn't completely cover your bum. Several of us have had minor panic attacks trying on clothes at the multiple shopping plaza's downtown. Jeans are a strict no no, and it is almost mandatory to wear heels. It is also impractical to bring a coat, so girls just head out bare shouldered, even if it is raining (which apparently is a frequent occurance!!). Not only do I not own heels, I find it expensive and annoying to take cabs when the walk is only ten minutes. I bring my heavy winter jacket, always wear tights, and walk home whenever I can. I also go to bed very early in comparison; clubs close at 2 or 3 which is way past my bedtime. It is also the standard to go out on weekdays and stay in on the weekends, because thats when the older locals invade the clubs.

This would all be somewhat bearable if it was not the standard to dress up for CLASS! I havent seen more than two girls wearing sweatpants since I got here. No one wears sneakers, and most girls wear dresses, leggings, nice boots, and a stylish scarf to class. I certainly am the anomaly now. I wear my ratty jeans, really ratty melanzana sweatshirt, and sneakers to class pretty much every day. Probably because I have to walk so far to get to class.

Maybe America is founded by prudes, but really, I think America is just founded by the practical. The only way to combat this outfit choice is to dress up as a chicken or cow. no joke.


1 comment:

  1. GIRLS AT ST. ANDREWS WEAR TIGHTS UNDER SHORTS ALL THE TIME. It is neither cute nor practical. I also saw a girl wearing a big furry Russian hat. Also people surfing like negative 10 degree weather. All of this, even though they claim this to be their coldest winter in 100 years. Europeans are dumb.

    ReplyDelete